Friday, June 6, 2014

27 Bots/Nam Mata Mata 3/6/14

Cold this morning. Lion roar around 6ish. Out the gate at 7:40
There were two jackal about 5 km outside camp, curled up in the sun on the road. Suspect they're our two scroungers.



Just past them was this lion, probably the source of the roaring. He looks very thin and given the paling of his mane, I suspect he's a deposed male.


Yellow mongoose visiting again



Golden Tailed Woodpecker


Southern White Crowned Shrike eating an ant




A small herd of Gnu warily came to drink water and were startled by a car door slamming











Starting to believe I'm jinxed. I was chatting up a handsome crow and he promptly went and raided a nest, killing a fledgling. As for the tree rats I've been admiring so much (there were, past tense, at least two of them), one fell out of the tree, just after I'd commented how agile they were, and landed about 30cm in front of me. He died! (Don't forget my earlier post about the lizard I was admiring that promptly got scoffed by a bird!)

Early evening the previously reported lion appeared outside the fence, chuffing. Lovely to see him mobile but disconcerting that he appeared to be looking for scraps.


We sat chatting to Manie and toodled off to bed around 10ish. I lay awake listening to at least two lion roaring a way off. A jackal starting calling into the night and, at 11pm, all hell broke loose. At least two lion started roaring, chuffing and snarling about 50m away from us. This magnificent stereo audio went on for about 30 minutes, then they moved off, their roaring getting fainter, 'till eventually peace and quiet prevailed. What a rush. Not sure if the conqueror of the Mata Mata pride was chasing the vanquished further off his newly won territory or maybe the vanquished was attempting to reclaim his title ... Took me ages to fall asleep ...

No comments:

Post a Comment